This summer Piper will be returning to the Old Stone House & Washington Park. We are planning with hope and caution in order to keep everyone safe.
In July 2021, Piper will produce two musicals, three original PTW plays, and host two Starlings groups for our youngest Pipers. We will follow State guidelines to work to remain open and stop the spread of COVID-19.
As conditions change in New York City, adjustments will be made. We pledge to be transparent and timely with all communications regarding real time changes to policy, rules or safety protocols.
This is a list of guidelines that Piper is creating to keep our community safe.
● Piper has hired a COVID leader, who will have the responsibility to support the Piper reopening plan for the entire month of July and work solely throughout the day to enforce the CDC guidelines.
● Attendance will be taken daily, as always, and will support contact tracing if necessary.
● When the workshop begins in person, all staff and students will have their temperatures taken when they arrive on site. A student whose temperature is over 100.0 degrees will be sent home. If students are found to have a temperature during the day, they will be isolated until their parents or caregivers can pick them up.
● Students over the age of 12 are not required to wear masks outdoors provided parents can submit a COVID-19 inoculation card that states they’ve received the Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech, or Johnson & Johnson vaccine and have completed a 14 day waiting period after receiving their final dose. If you cannot provide this proof, then we will ask that your child stay masked this summer. Students under the age of 12 must wear masks daily. If someone does not have a face mask, one will be provided. We recommend that students bring a fresh mask for the afternoon session.
● All groups will observe social distancing in rehearsals.
● Rehearsals will take place outside. Shade tents will be provided. Water coolers, first aid, and hand sanitizer will be provided. (Frequent and thorough hand hygiene will be encouraged).
● If a rain date is called, virtual programming will be offered. We will try to get information to you as soon as possible.
● Performances will be held outside observing audience numbers in adherence with New York City guidelines.
● Students will not share costumes. Each student will be responsible for washing their costume at the end of the performance and make arrangements to return them to Piper in the fall.
● Students will eat their lunch with their companies. Students will not be allowed to purchase from nearby vendors and restaurants. Students will bring their own lunch and water bottle from home. Sharing food will not be permitted.
● If a student or staff member contracts COVID-19, the Artistic Director should be notified as soon as possible.
● The Artistic Director will let everyone in that program know about the possible exposure and the project will be moved online for 7-day quarantine. Our educators are experienced online educators and will do their best to continue the theatre experience. Refunds cannot be accommodated.
● Students who do not comply with guidelines will not be allowed to participate and tuition will not be reimbursed.
● Each student’s family must sign a Waiver of Liability Related to COVID-19 due on or before May 1st, 2021.
● We are asking families to not travel on the 4th of July weekend and during the rehearsal cycles they have signed up for (either 2 or 4 week courses). If you are travelling out of state at any time just before or during your summer session at Piper, please let us know and please plan on getting two tests post travel. One prior to your arrival on campus and one five days following your return from travel.
● We will update these policies as conditions continue to change. Thank you for choosing Piper, and for working with us during this particularly challenging year. We aim for this to be the safest and most creative summer for you and your children.
John P. McEneny, Artistic Director
Justine McLaughlin, General Manager
Jen Wiener, Covid Safety Leader